Pages

Tuesday 22 January 2013

100% Wholewheat Banana Bread

Bananas being the tropical fruit available all year round is a must entry in our weekly ration. Well, I can have it for a day or two in a week, but I am not too much of a fan to go bananas over bananas! :-) So often I make them into breakfast smoothies and whatever is left, I give it away to my maid. Yesterday again I came across the case of over ripe bananas and I was at a loss. I didn't want my maid feel that we dispose off everything that we do not want on her, so I sat and searched for some recipes using bananas. 

Wholewheat Banana Bread

I have made banana bread/cake before and it turned out pretty well and I had something similar in mind this time as well. However, as I am deliberately trying to make healthier versions of my favorite dishes, I was quite adamant on finding a wholewheat banana bread recipe. To cut it short, I managed to find and bake one and this definitely is a keeper.

Ingredients

Ripe banana - 3 medium, sliced
Wholewheat flour -  1 3/4 cup + 4 tablespoon cocoa powder (I was falling short of 4 tablespoons from the box I keep my wheat flour and hence adjusted with cocoa powder and it did help)
Baking powder - 1 teaspoon
Baking soda - 1/4 teaspoon
Salt - 1/2 tablespoon
Olive oil - 1/4 cup
Brown sugar - 6 tablespoons
Egg whites - 2 
Yogurt - 8 tablespoons
Cinnamon powder - 1 teaspoon
Dark chocolate chips - few tablespoons for garnishing (optional)

Preparation

1. Preheat oven at 180 degree Celsius. Line a loaf pan with butter paper and grease with olive oil

2. In a mixing bowl, beat together sugar and olive oil using an electric mixer, until well combined.

3. Add the eggs and beat to combine. Add bananas, yogurt and cinnamon powder. Mix well by beating using the mixer.

4. Sift together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add this to the mixing bowl in portions, beating to combine after every addition.

5. Transfer the batter to the loaf pan. Sprinkle chocolate chips and bake in preheat oven for 1 hr 10 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.

6. Serve warm for breakfast or as snack.



No comments:

Post a Comment