Pages

Saturday 15 December 2012

Curried Papaya Soup

An easy healthy dinner soup to whip up in no time!

Well, today I had practically nothing to do and hence ended up baking a cake, a slice of which made me feel I shouldn't gorge much for dinner. So I thought of cooking a soup, which is filling and   contains 0 guilt factor!



I like papayas when they are not too ripe and when the crunchiness still remains. What I had, had crossed the stage and I didn't know what to do. So I as usual searched online for papaya recipes and among the many that popped up was of a soup! Well, a papaya soup was new to me but in no way was it a bad idea. The recipe had a twist that I liked. So I just went ahead and made this soup, which is a bit different from the original, but carries the secret as it is.  Also, I had made a similar tasting soup using carrots a few days ago, so I think this curry powder thing goes well with all sweet veggies!





Ingredients (this recipe serves one)

Papaya - 1/4th of a medium sized, cut into chunks 
Onion - 1 small, chopped finely
Garlic - 5 cloves, crushed
Ginger - 1 inch piece, cut and crushed
Carrot - 1 medium, chopped finely
Curry powder (secret ingredient) - 2 or 3 tablespoons (as per taste)
Olive oil - 2 tablespoons
Whole milk - 25 ml 
Pepper - 1 teaspoon, freshly ground
Water - 1 cup 
Salt to taste

Cooking

1. Heat up oil in a wide mouthed pan and saute the onions until golden brown. Add crushed ginger and garlic and saute for a min or two taking care the garlic doesn't burn. 
2. Add the carrots, 1/2 teaspoon of pepper powder, 2 tablespoons of curry powder and salt to taste. Fry for about a couple of minutes.
3. Add the milk, 1/2 cup water, simmer and cook with lid on for 10 min or until the carrots are soft.
4. Add the cut papaya and mix in to just heat it up. Simmer for 2-3 minutes. Remove from stove and let it cool.
5. In a food processor, add the soup mix and blend well. Add water as needed to attain the consistency you like. I added the other half now.

Serving

6. Return the blended min to the pan. Heat in low flame for a bout 2-3 min. Check the salt and add more spices as needed. I added my 1/2 teaspoon of pepper powder and 1 tablespoon of curry powder at this stage. It is not necessary but if you like the task you can.
7. Transfer to a serving bowl and garnish with ground pepper and dried cilantro. 

Happy light dining! :-)


Improvisation Ideas

Next time I may just double the milk and some dried chilies, because I would want it more spicier.
Freshly made croutons will also go well with this (i was just too lazy to make it)






No comments:

Post a Comment