Pages

Friday 4 January 2013

Oriental Green Beans Stir Fry

Very simple, but tasty, crispy and spicy accompaniment to rice!


In Singapore, food courts are a way of life. Most of the families there eat out and they find that to be a much cheaper option, well, may be, and food courts are where they frequent! You may be amazed to hear that some house owners are hesitant to rent their houses to Indian families there, because we cook and spoil the kitchen! (thankfully we never faced that issue) You will find a food court every other street, in malls and everywhere you can imagine. Some are classy, some are decent, but the best part is that whichever you choose, you will find one stall serving your favorite food. And believe me, all the shops make pretty decent food and some are just "out of the world". 


Of all the dishes I have tried, stir fried beans used to be  my favorite. I could eat it as it is or with plain steamed rice. They used to serve it sweet and spicy, and the beans used to look totally dark green (the fresh types) and crunchy enough. I have had many vain attempts to replicate the taste and the crunchiness in my home kitchen. 

Wondering why I am sharing the recipe then - because I feel this time I nailed it! (well, not 100% though) So here is my humble tribute to my then favorite dish. I believe you should be able to make it with any variety of beans.

Ingredients

Green beans - 1 bunch, (about 15-20), cut in to 2 inch size
Onion - 1 small, chopped
Garlic cloves - 5, chopped
Dried red chilies - 3 large
Olive oil - 1 tablespoon
Salt - to tate
Sugar - 1 teaspoon
Vinegar - 2 tablespoon

Preparation

Crush together onion, garlic and chilies in a blender without water.

Heat oil in a pan and stir fry the crushed mix for a couple of minutes.

Add the cut beans, stir well to combine. Add salt to taste. Do not cook for more than a couple of minutes as you want the bean to be cooked but retain its crunchiness. 

Sprinkle the sugar, and add vinegar. Stir well to mix and switch off the stove.

This is a wonderful side dish to go with rice or you can eat it as it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment