Pages

Saturday 15 December 2012

Mock Spanish Paella with Prawns and Sausages

Why mock, because I did not bake it!

Of all things why Spanish and why paella? Even I am wondering why! I remember having seafood paella from a restaurant in Singapore but then I did not enjoy it much. Now that's even more contradicting! 


I had prawns and sausages and wanted to cook up something different, especially for Sunday lunch as Pradeep was coming back home after a week. Thus I bumped into this Spanish Paella recipe which I have tweaked to my convenience. A decent main course to serve for social gatherings.


Ingredients

Chicken sausages - 4 long ones, sliced
Prawns - 1/2 kg, cleaned, deveined, cooked (specifications given in preparation section)
Onion - 1 medium, chopped
Garlic - 5 cloves, crushed
Dried chilies - 3, chrushed
Tomatoes - 2 medium, diced
Basmati rice - 1 cup
Broth or stock - 1 cup (I did not have any store bough broth so I made my own)
Vegetable soup mix - 1/2 cup
Black pepper - to taste, freshly ground
Turmeric powder - a pinch
Coriander leaves - a few springs
Salt to taste


Preparation

1. Cook the prawns in 2 cups of water with a pinch of turmeric, salt, pepper powder and a few springs of coriander leaves. Once the shrimp is cooked half way through drain about 11/2 cup of the broth and keep it aside. Let the water be absorbed and prawns be cooked completely.
2. Wash rice and soak it in water for about 10-15 min

Cooking

3. In wide mouthed cook and serve pan, put the sliced sausages and dry roast until browned.
4. Add oil to the pan and put onions and cook until golden brown. Add garlic & dried chilies and saute for another 2 min.
5. Add the tomatoes and saute it until well combined, for about 5 min.
6. Drain the soaked rice and add it to the pan. Fry for about 1-2 min, until the rice turns translucent and pour the soup mix. Mix well to combine.
7. Pour in the broth, check salt and adjust as needed. Cover with a lid and cook until most of the water evaporates. Around 10-15 min. 
8. Open the lid, add in the prawns, give it a nice stir to combine. Cook in simmer for about 5 min. Switch off when rice is fully cooked and water has evaporated.

Serving

9. Fluff up the rice with a fork. Serve with side dish of your choice. I serve this with Pan Roasted Pearl Onions in Yogurt Sauce. It tasted yum!







No comments:

Post a Comment