Pages

Thursday 13 December 2012

Mildly Spiced Potato Latkes

Jewish latkes twisted for my palate...



So, this is the best part of working for a food website - you hardly miss out any occasion :-) Yesterday when I started off my work, there was a mail in my inbox related to Hanukkah, the Jewish festival of lights. I haven't read much about it but today I had to get the page and iptv channel ready for the occasion and hence got a chance to go through quite many traditional Hanukkah recipes. 

As I was in no mood to do elaborate cooking today, I decided to go for the easiest of recipes recommended for this occasion; also the simplest available recipe for that :-) So here is a recipe for humble potato latkes catered to my taste preference.




Ingredients

Potatoes - 2 medium, grated (not so finely, preferably in the bigger hole in your grater)
Onion - 1 medium, grated finely
Garlic - 5 cloves, finely chopped
Green chilies - 2, finely chopped
Pepper powder - 1 pinch
Egg - 1 (I used white alone)
Olive oil - 3 tablespoon
Flour - 2 tablespoons (for binding)
Salt - as per taste
Sugar - 1 teaspoon (optional)

Preparation

1. Put the grated potatoes in a bowl of cold water for a few minutes and drain it thoroughly. Keep aside in a bowl
2. Further crush garlic and chilies together in a mortar
3. In the bowl with potatoes, add in the onions, crushed mix, pepper powder, salt, sugar, flour and finally egg white and mix well (using hand) to combine.

Cooking

4. Heat up butter/oil in a wide saucepan in low heat. 
5. Make 2 inch diameter patties out of the mix by pressing the with palm. As soon as it holds shape, transfer to the frying pan. Depending on the size of the pan you can cook it in one or two batches.
6. Check after 5-6 min and flip over if the side has browned. Once the other side browns, you can transfer the latkes to a plate.

Serving

7. Serve hot with sauce (I had only ketch up so used that)




No comments:

Post a Comment