Pages

Wednesday 26 December 2012

Steamed Shrimp & Sausage Wontons

For my love for wontons and all things Chinese!

2 years of stay in Singapore has made me a wonton and dim sum addict! I could eat it for breakfast, lunch, dinner and even as a mid day snack. We shifted base to India this February and since then I haven't had a sight of these or anything Chinese. Well, I remember going to a restaurant called Mings Palace at Gateway, but you cannot expect anything close to authentic Chinese here. 


So my urge to eat wontons grew day by day and last week, I finally went ahead and made it. I had some shrimps and a couple of sausages in my freezer which I had to use up. And that day we were having soup for dinner and I thought wontons would go well with that and could make the meal complete and filling; which it did! 


Ingredients

For the wrap

All purpose flour - 1 Cup
Salt to taste
Water enough to knead the flour into dough 

For the filling

Shrimps - a dozen, cleaned, deveined, and cooked with a bit of turmeric powder and salt
Chicken sausage - 3, 4 inch length, cut into small bite size pieces, cooked
Onion - 1 medium, finely chopped
Garlic - 6 cloves, crushed
Dried red chilies - 2, crushed
Olive oil - 2 tablespoons

Preparation

1. Make the dough for the wrap (roti dough consistency) and form about 10, 1 inch balls out of it. Roll out the dough into a neat circle of about 3 inch diameter. Keep aside.

Cooking

2. Heat oil in a sauce pan. Add onions and fry until golden brown. Add the garlic and chilies; saute for a while. Add the cooked shrimp and sausage, mix well to combine. Switch off the stove.
3. Hold the rolled out wrap in your palm, in a conical way and put the mix in it. Bring together the edges to cover the filling and twist to lock. Repeat the process for the rest
4. In a steamer (I used idli maker), place the wraps and cook. It should be done in about 10 min or as per your steamer settings.

Serving

5. Serve with ketch up, or if you aren't lazy like me, with the spicy tomato chili sauce, which is the authentic way to eat this.

Improvisation Ideas

You can go totally experimental with the filling idea. Next time I am even thinking of spicing up the wrap; what say?


No comments:

Post a Comment