Pages

Sunday 9 December 2012

Sausage & Vegetable with Red Wine & Chicken Stock Gravy

For all sausage lovers, this is a perfect Sunday morning breakfast to serve!


Well this is my first post in this blog and I just hope that my determination holds on and that I continue writing many more. I wish myself good luck!

My husband’s love for sausage is never ending! :-) I still remember our honeymoon days when I first figured this out. My sister in law was sweet enough to find a nice resort in Maldives for us. It was a 3-4 days trip complete with sun, sand, beach, great food and yes, obviously romance! Morning breakfast was the highlight and when I would be busy figuring out what to take I can see my hubby’s plate full with different varieties of sausages. For him cold cuts, salami etc are magnetic.

So, it’s been a while since we had or cooked sausages. So today being a Sunday, I promised him a sausage breakfast. Did a little bit of research for an easy recipe and this one is with my own variation. The original recipe calls for potatoes alone in vegetables but as I have a whole bunch of those gorgeous looking carrots and bell peppers we freshly picked from the farmers market, I thought of adding in those.  I also substituted olive oil with butter so that it is healthier and a few tablespoons of sugar for that added zing!

The sausage & vegetables are pre-cooked to save time and grilled to marry the flavors and impart smoky taste. Very filling and recommended if going for a late afternoon lunch! Choice of vegetables can different as per individual liking.

Well, I would make this again as it turned our pretty tasty and filling. 






Ingredients

Cocktail sausage, 1 standard package (with about 12-14 pieces)
Red onion, 1 large, sliced in ½ inch thickness
Baking potatoes, 3 medium, quartered and sliced
Carrot, 1medium, quartered and sliced
Bell pepper, 1 large, quartered and sliced
Red wine, 2 tablespoon
Chicken stock, 75 ml (or you can even use vegetable stock)
Olive oil, 2 tablespoon
Salt to taste
Sugar, 3 pinches

Preparation

1. Caramelize the onions. (To know how to caramelize onions, you may check this link http://www.ifood.tv/video/how-to-caremalise-onion )
2. Pan roast the sliced vegetables with salt so that they are almost 3/4th cooked(cook potatoes separately) and keep aside

Cooking

3. Heat up a small oven proof skillet on stove; pour olive oil and shallow fry the sausages for about 8 min or until cooked, tossing every minute to ensure even cooking.
4. Splash red wine and the chicken stock; give it a nice swirl.
5. Add in the caramelized onions and stir in to combine. Add vegetables other than potatoes; stir and switch off the stove.
6. Place the pan roasted potatoes over the sausage.
7. Set your grill on high and pop in the pan and cook for 8 minutes or until potatoes turn brown.

Serving

8. Serve hot for breakfast and enjoy!

Tips & Improvisations

You can pre-cook the vegetables in microwave to save time (mine is out of service for quite a while now, so tried pan roasting). 
Add some flour or corn flour to the chicken stock to make the gravy ticker. 
You can add more sugar if you like it sweeter. 
Next time, I would add freshly crushed dried chilies.







No comments:

Post a Comment